Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 November 2011

We heart Pet Insurance!

Why does Pet Insurance make people laugh? It's like I'm telling a joke when I tell people that  my dog has insurance. I still can't figure out what's so funny about it.
Last year, after hearing a few people tell me the tragic stories about loosing their pets to horrible accidents I was always left with one thought: how horrible it was that money was a determining factor in saving the pets life.
And so began my search for Pet Insurance. I never wanted to say "I couldn't afford the surgery, so we had to put her down." What if my parents couldn't afford my surgery when I was a child, and that meant I had to be put down? (Okay, I know, I am anthropomorphizing here, and there were probably times when my parents did want to put me down, but I must stress my point). If Stella needed a $5,000 dollar emergency surgery I wouldn't be able to afford it, simple as that.
After looking at a few different options I came across Trupanion Pet Insurance. The one factor that separated them from the rest was that there was never any payout limits. They pay 90% of any claim, whether it is $1,000 dollars or $10,000. Peace of mind is what this gave me.
Setting it up was easy. The representative I spoke with was very knowledgeable and helped me pick a plan that was right for me. After answering some questions about Stella, I chose a monthly premium of $35.39 with a $250 deductible. Different monthly premiums are available to suit the deductible that is right for you. Covered in my plan is diagnostic tests, surgeries, medications, hospital stays, and other treatments that may arise from Stella getting sick. Of course, there were conditions to my approval. Trupanion would not cover any condition that was pre-existing, and they would not cover any illness that could have been prevented. IE: Stella gets heart worms because I didn't put her on heart worm medication= not covered. However, if Stella were to get heart worms, the cost would be covered because she is on preventative medication. These conditions seemed reasonable to me.
My first experience with Trupanion is what sparked my interest in writing about them. The service I received far exceeded my expectations. Stella recently developed a skin irritation, and after efforts on my behalf to help her heal I eventually decided that seeing Dr. Todd (our vet) was necessary. Dr. Todd was away on vacation, and we were referred to the Morgan Animal Hospital in Niagara Falls. I was unsure how my insurance policy would work with Stella's allergy, so I decided to call Trupanion. The rep was once again exceptionally knowledgeable and friendly, and explained to me how my deductible worked, and what they needed from me. When I got off the phone, I noticed that a claim form had already been emailed to me. Once again, excellent service. When I forgot to bring the claim form into the vets office, it wasn't a problem, they faxed one for me. Since it was Stella's first claim, they needed all of her medical records, and a rep personally sent me an email requesting these from Dr. Todd. I then received a thank you email after they had received all of her records.
I guess it now goes without saying that I am extremely happy with choosing Trupanion as my Pet Insurance provider. For more information, you can visit their website at: http://trupanion.com/

Here is a list of other Canadian Pet Insurance Providers:
Petsecure: http://www.petsecure.com/
PetCare: http://www.petcareinsurance.com/
Ontario SPCA: http://www.ospcainsurance.ca/
PC Financial: http://www.pcfinancial.ca/english/insurance/index
QuickCare: http://www.quickcarepetinsurance.com/can/index.asp?cuid=   

No comments:

Post a Comment