Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Things that make no sense: Dog Edition

Okay, so if you really know me, you know I am always in favor of pointing out obvious, everyday things, which make no sense. SO, as per requested, I have titled this blog ‘Things that make no sense: Dog Edition.”  
Overweight dogs: 
My experience with this is quite interesting. Let’s first discuss Stella, and her weight issues. Stella is a high-energy dog and so by default, this makes her very active. Stella is also a mix of some sort of Shepherd, Labrador retriever, and Border Collie. The Labrador retriever gives her many good qualities, like her excellent ability to swim, but also makes her prone to weight-gain. So because she is so active, and because she generally appears to be fast, agile, and muscular, myself and others often had the misconception that she was at a healthy weight. However, if we have a bad spell of weather, and Stella doesn’t get out for a good workout, you can start to notice weight gain on her in about a week. She begins to look, sasuagey. 
Here is what I’ve learned:
1)      I was feeding her too much: As a general rule, take the recommended feeding guideline offered by your pet food supplier and reduce it by about a half a cup a day (for large breed dogs). Pet food suppliers are in the business of making pet food, so the more you feed your pet, the better for them.
2)      I like using this chart as a way to observe Stella’s weight-gain patterns. If your dog doesn’t look like the ideal dog in this chart, it’s time to change something. 

3)      Obese animals are likely to be less mobile, and may suffer a decline in their general well-being. The excess weight puts stress on the major weight-bearing joints which can potentially result in reduced mobility and energy expenditure. Here is a link to an article by Dr. Claire Todd, my veterinarian at the Fonthill Animal Hospital which offers simple and realistic guidelines to combating your pets obesity:
  
Dog Clothes: 
I admit, I fall victim to this one. Stella has a wardrobe, but this doesn't mean it makes sense. Dogs don't actually like getting dressed up as pink unicorns or wearing argyle for the holidays, they would rather be rolling around in a dead fish somewhere. My only defense? Stella is my furchild, and seeing a large dog dressed up is ridiculously adorable. So, if it makes you happy, and it's not hurting anyone else, than really, what's the harm?

Buying a Puppy: 
I let out a big sigh as I say this one, because I know there are plenty of reputable breeders, who breed healthy puppies, who go to great homes and live great lives. However, I also know the implications of over-breeding, and I know that so many people fail to consider the responsibilities involved in owning a new puppy. Already overcrowded shelters are filled with dogs who have come from homes that ended up not having the time for the new puppy, or couldn't afford the dog past the puppy stage...the list of excuses goes on and on. So once again, consider adoption before you consider a breeder, and if you STILL insist on a new puppy, make sure you do your research and ensure that your breeder is a reputable one. 

Breed-Specific-Legislation:
As I write this, I let out another big sigh, but this time, it’s a sigh of disappointment.
On October 2, 2004 the Mcguinty government introduced Bill 132 to amend the Dog Owners’ Liability Act. The legislation bans pit bulls in Ontario, places restrictions on existing pit bulls, and toughens the penalties for the owners of any dog that poses a danger to the public. I was unable to locate any studies that could prove that certain dogs are more genetically prone to causing violent harm against another animal. What I could find however, was a vast resource of research proving that BSL is ineffective.
Here is just one piece of material I would suggest reading:




No comments:

Post a Comment